CLOSE

SportsPulse: MMA insider John Morgan details the rift that led to Conor McGregor going off the rails and attacking a bus filled with fighters after a UFC media event prior to UFC 223 and if we can expect McGregor to ever fight again.
USA TODAY Sports

UFC president Dana White did not rule out the possibility of Conor McGregor fighting in September when asked Saturday night.

White said he and McGregor talked Friday, a day after the UFC star allegedly attacked a bus and injured other UFC fighters.

Asked how the conversation with McGregor went, White said, “Yeah, it’s good. I think that there’s a mutual respect between us.”

While not closing the door on McGregor fighting later this year, White refused to elaborate on the matter during a news conference following the UFC’s fight card in Brooklyn Saturday. He pointed out McGregor is due in court in June. His next scheduled court date is June 14.

More: White: McGregor showed no remorse after bus attack

More: White may talk tough, but has been longtime enabler of McGregor

McGregor faces up to 11 years in prison for two felony charges, according to New York sentencing guidelines. But three former New York prosecutors told USA TODAY Sports it is unlikely McGregor will serve significant, if any, jail time.

After White said a fight in September had been discussed, a reporter asked if the fight was still possible?

“I don’t know,” White said. “You can’t ask me anything about Conor. I don’t know anything about Conor. I haven’t thought about it. There’s nothing to think about this week I think except for this event.”

But White, less than 48 hours after he said “absolutely not” when asked if he wanted to be in business with McGregor, clearly had softened his stance.

“I had so many things thrown at me this week,” White said. “To focus on this show was insane. We’ll get back and focus on Conor McGregor.”

Autoplay

Show Thumbnails

Show Captions